Exercise 0: Learning GitHub
In this little exercise, we will get a GitHub account set up, fork your first code, clone it to Netbeans, editt and commit your code, and push it back to GitHub. Once we have your code changes online, we can submit them to Mr. Lamont to review.
- Create a GitHub account if you don't already have one. You can use the GoogleApps GMail account (i.e. firstname.lastname@example.org) You will create a free account, not a pay account
- Visit GitHubIntro repository and create a fork.
- When you have created the fork, you will see your GitHub address in the Mid-Righthand side of the screen. You will need to copy this to the clipboard.
- Start up Netbeans and clone your repository using the address you copied in the previous step. (Team -> Git -> Clone)
- Add your name to the text file.
- Commit your changes (Team -> Commit) Be sure you have selected your main project in the project explorer window
- Push your changes to your online repository (Team -> Remote -> Push)
- Navigate to your repository using a web browser.
- Create a pull request to submit to Mr. Lamont